Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Phyllis Diller, What Can You Say? She Was One of The Greatest of All-Time!

Phyllis Diller just passed away at the ripe old age of 95. She lived a good life and worked well into her late 80's . She was a classic , and in my opinion was the greatest female standup artist of the last 50 years. She did it all.
I have particular great memories of her while growing up. In high school, college and Law School I did some standup comedy at local restaurants and bars. I used material from Don Rickles, Buddy Hackett, George Carlin, Flip Wilson, Bill Cosby , Johnathan Winters and yes, Phyllis Diller . I remember watching them religiously on the Dean Martin Roasts on TV . Great stuff!
There was one great Phyllis Diller line that "I stole verbatim" and incorporated into my act . Still remember it today.
I "knew a girl who was so flat , that when she layed down she had to have a sign saying this side up"! Funny stuff .
Perhaps her funniest schtick was her bit about her fictitious husband "Fang". Classic. She was far and away the Queen of self-deprecating humor. She made millions laugh for generations and will always be remembered.
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment