Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Smokin Joe Frazier; Never, Ever, Did a Tougher, More Courageous Man Step Into the Ring!

Joe Frazier passed away yesterday at age 67. Joe was a titan , a "man's man" , whose gladiator type fights against Ali will never be forgotten . His fights against Ali were the epitome of the term "classic". Ali-Frazier fights were part of my childhood . I remember the first and third fights vividly. Ali's , grace, speed, footwork. Frazier's relentlessness . He kept coming and coming and coming. Sometimes took up to 5 blows to land one . Took tremendous punishment but dished out debilitating shots to the body and head. Vicious left hook ...Body blows that could and did finish off top fighters(Jerry Quarry for one).
The first Ali fight in March of 1971 at Madison Square Garden was billed and lived up to it's billing as "The Fight of the Century ". I was 11 then and a huge Ali fan . My dad took me to Gallaghers Steak House for dinner. "The Astronauts " showed up for dinner there. Surreal! Afterwards we watched the fight on closed circuit tv. I was devastated when Frazier knocked Ali down in the 15th and got the decision. Years later I accepted the fact that Frazier won that fight. Busier fighter, more aggressive, ...Ali did too much dancing, not enough fighting. Ali won the rematch in New York in 1974.
Which brings us to the rematch in 1976. "The Thrilla in Manilla " . I recall loading into my friend's trunk of his car with 3 or 4 other guys, to sneak in and watch the fight on closed circuit tv at the Livingston Drive-In Theater. Unbelievable night, unbelievable fight. Ali TKO. Ali said it was his toughest fight ever. Fight took a lot out of each fighter who each truly disliked the other at that time.
The rest of Joe's life was a mixture of ups and downs . Professionally, personally and financially.

But he'll always be remembered and admired. He had the heart of a lion. Never backed down, feared no one, never gave less than 1000 percent and never, I mean never quit.
I will always remember him with respect and pride. And when I think about him a smile will always come to my face as I'm recalling the pure grit, guts and determination he brought to the ring.
God bless you Joe Frazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment