Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ali-Frazier 1; Can you believe it's 40 Years?

One of my greatest childhood, sports unforgettable moments of my life was watching Ali-Frazier 1 on closed circuit tv with my dad in "The City". I was all of 11 years old and I loved Ali to death. What did I know at the time about The Vietnam War, "The Draft ", Ali's refusal to be inducted or his fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. I loved sports, loved boxing and idolized Ali!
When my dad got tickets for the "closed circuit showing" I went nuts. Then that day he tells me we're going to Gallagher's Steakhouse for a pre-fight meal. I could not control my excitement.
So we're sitting in Gallagher's eating our meal and the place is loud, buzzing with anticipation for one of the biggest fights of all-time(they were both undefeated). Guess who walks into Gallagher's? The "astronauts"! The place went nuts!..What a night already.
So finally we get to the theatre and into our seats. Great fight, close. But Ali gave too many rounds away. Then the flash knockdown of Ali in "the late rounds" and a decision for Frazier. They both fought their hearts out. A night for the ages. I will never , ever forget it.
Oh , and I had to wait 3 years before Ali got his revenge in Manila. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment