Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bhopal,Union Carbide , All these years later.

One of the truly horrific incidents of the 1980's was the Union Carbide Gas Disaster which took place in Bhopal India at the end of December 1984-early 1985. I remember the time frame well. I was admitted to practice law in N.J. in December 1984 and then in New York in February 1985. Well, I vividly recall, just after my New York admission being sent off on a plane by the firm I worked for in Manhattan to meet our Indian Lawyer contact in India. I made our contact , signed up thousands of cases and over two trips stayed for 2 months. While in India I saw many of our finest personal injury firms ,obviously there on the same mission.
While the case dragged on. Judge Keenan eventually dismissed it on "forum non conveniens grounds, effectively transferring the case back to India for it's conclusion.
Well, just a few months ago I received a call from a friend who knew I had been in Bhopal , who let me know that he saw in the Law Journal that Judge Keenan still had, and was deciding some Bhopal related matters. "Justice, just 25 years later."

No comments:

Post a Comment